Porlock Weir lies at one end of Porlock Bay with a small harbour.
Porlock Weir lies about 1.5 miles west of Porlock, Somerset, England and is a small settlement which has grown up around the harbour. It is a popular visitor attraction.
Many cottages around the area are very old including the Gibraltar Cottages which date from the 17th century and have been designated by English Heritage as a grade II listed building.
Like most ports in West Somerset, the small harbour is tidal but has a small home-based flotilla of yachts and is visited by many more in spring and summer. The port has existed for over 1,000 years. The Anglo-Saxon chronicle reports that in 1052 Harold Godwinson came from Ireland with nine ships and plundered the area and even before that in 86 AD it was visited by Danes. In the 18th and 19th centuries coal from south Wales was the main cargo and in World War II pit props cut from local forests were exported the other way.
It is a good spot for walking with the South West Coast Path and other trails linking through to Porlock Ridge and Saltmarsh (good for birding), and Culbone - where you can visit the smallest complete parish church in England.
- South West Coast Path
- Culbone church
- Porlock Marsh
- Boat Museum
- Exmoor Glass
See Porlock events
Porlock Visitor Centre
Somerset, TA24 8QD
Tel: (01643) 863150