The ancient market town of Tiverton sits just on the eastern edge of Exmoor.
Nestled between the Rivers Exe and Lowman, the ancient market town of Tiverton sits just on the eastern edge of Exmoor. The town’s central location makes it a great base to explore the whole of Devon with easy access to both Exmoor, the Blackdown Hills and Dartmoor and the north and south coasts.
The town derived great wealth from the medieval wool trade which helped to fund several surviving buildings including St Peter’s Church. Following the decline of the wool trade, John Heathcoat established a lace factory which turned round the fortunes of the town and once again it became a significant textile centre in the south west. Much of Tiverton’s history is still evident today and several historical walks and information boards can be found throughout the town.
- Historic market town with working Pannier Market
- Grand Western Canal with horse-drawn barge
- Easy access to beautiful countryside for walks and cycling
- Top family attractions such as Tiverton Museum, Tiverton Castle and Knightshayes Court
- Good range of independent shops and cafes
- Mid Devon Show - July
- Tivvy Fest – June
- Tiverton Balloon & Music Festival – July
- Feast of St James - July
- Two Rivers Festival – July
Tiverton’s Tourist Information Service
Tiverton Museum of Mid Devon Life
Tiverton EX16 6PJ
01884 230878 01884 230878